Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Get to Know Pure Green! Petra Boykoff


Hi Petra! Please introduce yourself. 

Hello lovely readers, it's so nice to meet you. I'm Petra, contributor for Pure Green Magazine. I have a passion for hotel design and all things travel, so you'll often see my name next to the travel feature. I'm an interior designer by day and eco blogger by night for Pretty Little Green Things. I grew up in Minnesota, went to college in Wisconsin, and lived in LA for a number of years, but I've always been a true New Yorker at heart. My husband and I live in the East Village, close to the Union Square Farmer's Market and tons of amazing restaurants. A few bits of trivia for you: I can't fall asleep without reading, I'm obsessed with wallpaper, my favorite food group is ice cream and you'll rarely find me without some fun piece of jewelry on.

Which mid-century design classic would you most love to own? 

An Eames task chair would be a practical choice, since we don't really have a great desk chair. But if I could pick anything I'd go with the Bibendum chair from Eileen Grey. As much as I love iconic designers like Bertoia & Saarinen, their pieces are everywhere. The Bibendum chair is so unique and such a fun accent piece, not to mention a great conversation starter as well!
If you could go back to high school, would you?

No way! There's no need to repeat that awkward stage again. Although if could send my high school self a message, it would be to care less about what other people think. The opinions and advice from family and friends are so much more meaningful.

What skill or trade would you love to learn one day?

 What wouldn't I love to learn how to do? Right now I'm fascinated with furniture making, especially reupholstery and wood working. I would love to have enough space in my home to really experiment and make a mess. Unfortunately, living in a one bedroom apartment, that's not really possible right now. So until that day comes, I'll stick to painting furniture, sewing and making jewelry.

What does living green mean to you?

For me, living a more natural and less consumption driven lifestyle is the best way to be green. As much as possible, I try to buy locally grown and in-season fruits and veggies from the farmers market. We cook and entertain at home a lot so the quality and healthfulness of our food is really important. I also try to buy vintage before new because for me it's the most eco-friendly way to go. You get a lot of character, a little history and no waste. As my grandmother would say, "what's not to love?"



Sources:
1.  Rosette vase from Perch!
2. Eco picnic basket from Bambeco
3. Cork foldable fruit bowl from Bambu (sold through Branch)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails