Friday, January 16, 2009

Tolix Stools

I'm currently in the process of designing the sales desk/consultation counter for my new eco-store, Sustain. Amidst bouncing ideas around with my fiancée, I saw these Tolix stools on the cover of Living Etc. and felt inspired to check some out. Designed in 1934 by french designer Xavier Pauchard and manufactured by industrial metal-working company Tolix, they have gone from industrial necessities found on battleships, to french café must-haves, to homeware classics. The reason I love these so much is that they're versatile: they are equally at home in a super-rustic Muskokan cottage as they are in an uber-modern setting. I suppose they're eco because they are made of recyclable material, however, I'm going to kick that up a notch by sourcing some that are vintage. Here are a few photos that I've found.


The most famous is probably the slimmer A56, however, its the tall stool pictured here I'm after.



New versions are available at The Conran Shop (UK), Antiquaire Online or DWR, and can be customized in several colours.







This is a neat photo.





3 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for metal chairs!! These are all fantastic!! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too...i can't wait to get my hands on some of these stools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyone want to swap two brand new tolix tall stools for shorter ones? i ordered on dwr and i belive they are 30 inches. too late to return. they havent been used yet. would love 26 or 20 inch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails